We expect a large amount of entries from the global fan art community so please ensure that you follow the requirements as outlined below. ART SUBMITTED THAT DOES NOT FOLLOW THESE RULES WILL BE DISQUALIFIED.
If you’ve contributed to our previous Tribute collections, please take the time to read through these requirements anyway! Some of the guidelines are different from our past Tribute books, especially regarding ownership and sharing of submitted artwork.
- The collection is worldwide, so anyone in any country may submit their art.
- You must be 18+ (of legal age to sign binding contracts) in order to participate in the collection.
- Art should feature characters and settings from the World of Warcraft video game only. No cross-over characters from any other video games or properties, including other Blizzard games.
- Fan-created characters from outside the World of Warcraft game are not permitted. You may use your in-game characters as inspiration, however no random fantasy characters who do not fit the existing World of Warcraft race and class categories.
- All content must be appropriate for the World of Warcraft audience. No graphic sexual content and no extreme gore. Also no smoking or drug use.
- Multiple entries are welcome, as are collaborative efforts, but all artwork must be original, and created by the credited artist(s).
- Artwork should be created at 8.5 x 11”, 400 dpi or higher, (CMYK or RGB), portrait shape.
- Initial submission of artwork should be sent as a low resolution JPEG file that is no larger than 500 kb.
- All submissions are property of Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. This includes both winning and non-winning submissions.
- Submissions may not be distributed at any time, either in print or digital formats, without explicit permission from Blizzard and UDON Entertainment. This includes posting the artwork anywhere online, even the official Blizzard fan art website. If we find your work posted online, it will have to be disqualified, so don’t do it!!
Submissions are due no later than Tuesday, January 15th, 2013 at 1:00pm, EST.
New! Submissions deadline has been extended to January 31st, 2013, at 1:00pm, EST.
Submissions will only be accepted via the online submission form. You must read and accept the Tribute collection rules in order to submit your entry. Submissions through any other format (mail, email, etc) will be disqualified.
Selected artists for the World of Warcraft Tribute collection will have their illustration included and credited in the World of Warcraft Tribute art book being published by UDON and will receive their own free hard cover edition copy of the book once it is released. Selected artists will also be given the option to create a limited set of high-quality art prints from their image. The guidelines for these prints is noted in section 7 (Artist Prints) of the official World of Warcraft Tribute Book rules.
Selected artists will be notified no later than May 1st 2013.
Due to the number of entries we anticipate receiving, ONLY selected artists will receive e-mail confirmation and correspondence. Please don’t follow up with e-mails asking us if your artwork has won. We’ll contact you if your artwork has been chosen. Do NOT send full size (print resolution) illustrations unless we specifically ask you for them. If your artwork is accepted for inclusion in the book, we will send you an e-mail and set up a way to receive the high resolution final image from you.
Stylistically, we want artists to show us what they can do. We don’t need you to draw or paint just like the Blizzard artists in order to win (though if that is the style you choose, that’s okay too). Realistic, anime/manga, super-deformed/cute, comic book style, abstract, animated, graffiti, pixel/sprite art, you name it… we’re open and excited about receiving all kinds of different original artistic interpretations.
By submitting artwork to the World of Warcraft Tribute Book collection, you agree to relinquish all reproduction rights to the image. There is no payment to artists for artwork used in the World of Warcraft Tribute book. All artwork submitted to the World of Warcraft Tribute book become the property of Blizzard Entertainment. Submitting artwork does not guarantee that it will be used in the World of Warcraft Tribute book.
Not allowed! Since all artwork created for this Tribute book uses characters and settings that are copyright of Blizzard Entertainment, you will need explicit permission from them before you can share your work. Any work found online without permission will be disqualified from the contest.
OFFICIAL RULES AGREEMENT
WORLD OF WARCRAFT TRIBUTE BOOK COLLECTION
- The World of Warcraft Tribute Book Collection.
This License Agreement (hereafter, the "Agreement") shall set forth the terms and conditions for the submission of artwork based on Blizzard Property (as defined below) in association with the World of Warcraft Tribute Book Collection. In order to participate in the Tribute Book, you must first acknowledge your agreement to the terms and conditions of this Agreement by clicking the "I Accept," button below. Note that you may not accept the Agreement if you are not of legal age to form a binding contract with Blizzard.
- Blizzard Property.
All title, ownership and intellectual property rights in and to the interactive games produced by Blizzard Entertainment, Inc., a Delaware corporation, ("Blizzard"), including, but not limited to the interactive products developed as part of Blizzard's Warcraft interactive product line. This may include any titles, computer code, themes, objects, characters, character names, stories, dialog, catch phrases, locations, concepts, artwork, structural or landscape designs, animations, sounds, musical compositions and recordings, audio-visual effects, storylines, character likenesses, methods of operation, moral rights, and any related documentation, all of which are owned or licensed by Blizzard, and are protected by the copyright laws of the United States, international treaties and conventions, and other applicable laws ("Blizzard Property").
For the purposes of this Agreement, and in consideration of your agreement to abide by the terms and conditions contained herein, Blizzard hereby grants you a limited, non-exclusive, world-wide, royalty free, perpetual license to use the Blizzard Property “World of Warcraft” to create drawings, illustrations, and/or graphic representations based on the Blizzard Property “World of Warcraft” for submission to the World of Warcraft Tribute Book Collection. In consideration of Blizzard providing you the opportunity to participate in World of Warcraft Tribute Book Collection, you hereby grant to Blizzard a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty free, perpetual license to exploit, commercially or otherwise, the drawing/illustration based upon Blizzard Property that you submit to World of Warcraft Tribute Book Collection ("Licensed Materials") for its business purposes in all media, in whole or in part, distorted in character or form, including but not limited to, the right to use the Licensed Materials on its websites, as well as for its internal, trade, and advertising purposes.
- Representations and Warranties.
With respect to the Licensed Materials, you hereby warrant that: (a) You are 18 years of age or older; (b) you have the right to provide Blizzard the foregoing license to utilize the Licensed Materials without liability or compensation to others; and (c) the use, reproduction, distribution, or transmission of the Licensed Material will not, and the Agreement does not violate any foreign or domestic, federal, state or local law or regulation, or any rights of any third party, including, but not limited to, any copyright, patent, trademark, trade secret, music, image, or other proprietary, property, or contractual right, or constitute false advertising, unfair competition, defamation, invasion of privacy or rights to celebrity, or any other right of any person or entity.
You agree to defend, indemnify and hold Blizzard harmless from any claims, litigations, actions, damages or fees of any kind (including reasonable attorney's fees) arising from: (i) a breach of Your representations and warranties hereunder, and (ii) Blizzard' or Your use or disclosure of subject matter which You know or reasonably should know others have rights in, except, however, for subject matter and the identity of others having rights therein that You disclose to Blizzard in writing before Blizzard uses the subject matter.
- Release of Liability.
UDON, Blizzard Entertainment and any of their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, professional advisors, employees and agencies will not be responsible for: (i) any late, lost, misrouted, garbled or distorted or damaged transmissions or entries; (ii) telephone, electronic, hardware, software, network, Internet, or other computer- or communications-related malfunctions or failures; (iii) any disruptions, injuries, losses or damages caused by events beyond the control of UDON; or (iv) any printing or typographical errors in any materials associated with the Tribute Book.
The sole consideration for the license granted under this Agreement by you to Blizzard shall be the publication of the Licensed Materials in the World of Warcraft Tribute Book with a credit line that provides credit to you as the author/creator of the Licensed Materials. In addition, UDON Entertainment shall provide one (1) printed hardcover copy of the World of Warcraft Tribute Book, shipped to Your designated mailing address. It is agreed by the parties hereto that publication of the Licensed Materials and one (1) copy of the published book as stated above is full and complete consideration for the grant of license contained herein. In the event that Blizzard should fail to place the credit, line on the Website in association with the Licensed Materials, Blizzard will take reasonable steps to correct such error, but in no event will such failure be deemed a material breach hereunder.
- Artist Prints.
In addition to the above consideration, an artist who contributes an image for publication in the Licensed Product, namely the “World of Warcraft Tribute Book” (hereafter “Artist”), shall have the right to sell prints of such image created by such Artist (“Prints”) provided that such Artist complies with all of the following:
1) Artist may only sell Prints of an image that has been approved for publication.
2) Artist cannot sell Prints until three (3) months after the earlier of (a) the respective image being released in the World of Warcraft Tribute Book or (b) otherwise published by Licensor (Blizzard) or its
3) Prints must be no larger than 11” x 17” in size.
4) No more than two hundred fifty (250) copies of the Print may be sold by the Artist.
5) Prints must be produced from high-resolution files (minimum 300 dpi) and printed on high-quality paper (not copy paper). The Artist is responsible for all costs relating to the production of the Prints, but will also receive all revenues from the sale of the Prints.
6) All Prints must contain the appropriate copyright notice as follows: “©2013 Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. All rights reserved.”
7) Artist may only sell Prints on his or her personal website or at conventions, trade shows, or other in-person promotional venue (not through a secondary partner, website except as specifically set forth above, any mail order method, or in comic book stores, etc.).
8) The right to sell Prints granted herein are personal to Artist, and Artist may not assign, sublicense, or transfer this right to any third party.
9) The rights granted herein to sell Prints may be revoked by Licensor (Blizzard) at any time upon written notice to Artist, at which time Artist shall immediately cease all distribution of such Prints and destroy any existing inventory. Artist is not entitled to any sell-off period once the right to sell Prints has been revoked.
10) Failure to adhere to the foregoing restrictions shall constitute a non-curable material breach by Artist, and may result in revocation of any or all of the rights granted to Artist herein as well as immediate termination of the Agreement and legal actions by Licensee or Licensor (Blizzard) to protect Licensor’s (Blizzard’s) rights in the image.
- Additional Criteria.
To ensure your artwork is included in the World of Warcraft Tribute Book, You agree to supply the required high-resolution digital version of Your Licensed Materials to UDON Entertainment by the specified date of April 2, 2013. Artwork shall be delivered at 8.5 x 11”, 400 dpi or higher, (CMYK or RGB), portrait shape. Artwork which does not meet these print resolution specifications or which is not delivered by the required date may be removed from the book.
The relationship between the parties hereto shall be that of a licensor and a licensee, and neither party shall represent itself as an agent, representative or partner of the other. Blizzard may terminate this Agreement at any time in the event of your material breach of this Agreement. This Agreement shall be deemed to have been made and executed in the State of California and any dispute arising hereunder shall be resolved in accordance with the law of California. You may not assign your rights under this Agreement without the express written consent of Blizzard. This Agreement constitutes and contains the entire agreement between the parties with respect to the subject matter hereof and supersedes any prior oral or written agreements.
- Collection of Information.
Contest entry includes a survey that requires you to provide your name, e-mail address, and country of residence. By submitting for the Tribute Book Collection, you consent to UDON's use of this information to associate your name with your submission in promotional materials for the Collection. The Collection is open to anyone over the age of majority in your country of citizenship. In the event that UDON becomes aware that you are under the age of majority in your country of citizenship UDON will delete, erase or destroy any and all personally identifiable information that is obtained from the Entry Materials. In the event that you are a citizen of France and/or any of the other countries whose citizens are eligible for this Collection, and pursuant to French law pertaining to data collection and processing, you are informed that the data collector is UDON Entertainment, and the data collected will be transferred to Canada and the United States of America. Upon request, you will be provided with access to your personal data. You also have a right of opposition to the data collection, under certain circumstances. To exercise such right, you may write to "World of Warcraft Tribute Collection - Personal Data,” c/o UDON Entertainment, with an address at 118 Tower Hill Road, C1, PO Box 20009, Richmond Hill, Ontario, L4K 0K0 Canada. You may also withdraw your personal data upon request, however you will be disqualified as a entrant in the Collection if you withdraw your personal data prior to the determination and fulfillment of the prizes listed in Sections 7 and 8 herein.
- Acknowledgement of binding nature of the foregoing terms and conditions.
You hereby acknowledge that you have read and understand the foregoing Agreement and agree that by activating, or 'clicking' the 'I Accept' button associated herewith is an acknowledgment of your agreement to be bound by the terms and conditions of this Agreement. You also acknowledge and agree that this Agreement is the complete and exclusive statement of the agreement between Blizzard and yourself and that the Agreement supersedes any prior or contemporaneous agreement, either oral or written, and any other communications between Blizzard and yourself related to the subject matter of this Agreement.